Job Title: Public Defenders Office, Mitigation Specialist
Location: El Paso
Annual Salary: $77, 420.19
Date Open: 8/10/21
Closing Date: Continuous
Acceptable Experience and Education
• Masters degree from an accredited university in social work, psychology, counseling, or a related field and a minimum of five (5) years of experience in a medical or legal field; with one (1) year of developmental or lead work experience. Or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Certificates and Licenses Required
• Must have or obtain by date of hire a valid driver's license applicable to job responsibilities, with a driving record acceptable to the County of El Paso.
• Texas level Social Worker licensure required.
TYPICAL DUTIES: Essential Duties
• Provides defense attorneys with professional analysis related to the case, investigative information that impacts the case, key evidence, and experts to testify regarding mitigating circumstances presented in the case; provides both supportive evidence and a detailed, documented history of the defendant; is responsible for the gathering and preparation of information to be presented during trial and during the sentencing phase;
• Conduct witness interviews and field investigations regarding competency, alcohol/drug dependence, legal sanity and prepare reliable social histories regarding mitigation based on the client's psycho-social development, future dangerousness, and other capital sentencing factors;
• Compiles a comprehensive and well-document psycho-social history of the client based on an exhaustive investigation, interviews with family, employers, acquaintances; gathers medical, mental health, employment, and educational records and documentation; ensures high quality investigation and preparation of the penalty phase;
• Analyzes the significance of the information in terms of impact on development, including effect on personality and behavior; finds mitigating themes in the client's life history; identifies the need for expert assistance;
• Assists in locating appropriate experts; provides social history information to experts to enable them to conduct competent and reliable evaluations; and works with the defense team and experts to develop a comprehensive and cohesive case in mitigation;
• Prepares correspondence, social histories, and reports and submits social histories to psychologists and attorneys; prepares written reports/memoranda for clients as directed by trial attorneys;
• Provides court testimony on behalf of clients, when needed;
• Maintains well-documented and dated files for all clients, including updating electronic client files with chronological entries reflecting all work performed;
• Brainstorms and develops mitigation and other strategies with the trial team for presentation to the jury or the judge during trial and during sentencing;
• Maintains close contact with the client and his family while the case is pending; As directed, provides oversight lead work to interns and staff social workers, including assigning, reviewing, and training;
• Attends and participates in meetings, training and information sessions;
• Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field;
• Commits self to providing excellent customer service and demonstrate commitment through cooperative team and individual efforts; and
• Creates a high quality work culture through participation in and emphasis on training and mentoring to develop leadership, management, and technical skills in self and all employees, including safety related training and skills.
Other Important Duties*
• Performs such other related duties as may be assigned;
• Work extended hours and weekends;
• Regular out of town travel;
• Maintains a safe and healthy work place environment;
• As members of the County of El Paso Emergency Response System, all El Paso County employees are designated as Disaster Service Workers during a proclaimed emergency and may be required to train on emergency response and/or perform certain emergency services at the direction of their supervisor.
JOB SUMMARY: Summary of Position
The Mitigation Specialist under minimal direction, in consultation with the lead attorney, oversees development of the mitigation aspects of capital cases as an integral part of the defense team to ensure that the presentation to be made at the penalty phase is integrated into the overall preparation of the case.
Reports to: Division Unit Chief
Directs: Social Worker Interns and staff Social Workers' mitigation work as necessary
Other: Has contact with department heads, attorneys, and/or staff in order to coordinate and complete assigned responsibilities, other county employees, educational institutions, and medical/mental health service providers and staff.
PUBLIC DEFENDER'S OFFICE - MITIGATION SPECIALIST Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Which of the following best describes your level of education in social work, psychology, counseling, or a related field?
High School or equivalent
None of the above
* 2. Which of the following best describes your experience in a medical or legal field?
Less than 1 year experience
1 to less than 3 years
3 to less than 5 years
5 to less than 7 years
7 to less than 9 years
9 to less than 11 years
More than 11 years experience
* 3. Which of the following best describes your developmental supervisory or managerial experience?
Less than 1 year experience
1 to less than 2 years experience
2 to less than 3 years experience
3 to less than 4 years experience
4 to less than 5years experience
More than 5 years experience
* 4. Are you a licensed Social Worker in the state of Texas?
* 5. Do you have or can obtain by date of hire a driver's license applicable to the job responsibilities, with a driving record acceptable to the County of El Paso?
8/16/2021 Job Bulletin
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.epcounty.com/jobs
500 E. Overland Ave.
El Paso, TX 79901